Business Editor, Chemistry World
This job has now expired
We're looking for an exceptional journalist, familiar with the chemical and pharmaceutical industry, to temporarily manage the business news section and regular business features, ensuring the magazine continues to have a wide reach beyond academia. You will research and commission news and features, plan story concepts and develop ideas for both the magazine and website. You will enjoy hands-on writing, editing and proofing and will also be happy to generate ideas for images that can be used alongside articles. You will always be on the lookout for stories - using your contacts, visiting companies, attending conferences and conducting interviews.
Day to day activities
- Commission, edit and write news and features on a wide range of business and chemical sciencerelated
topics to a high level of quality and accuracy and to established deadlines
- Take responsibility for developing and overseeing the business section of Chemistry World magazine
and other pages assigned
- Create business content for chemistryworld.org
- Build and use contacts with members, the chemical and pharmaceutical industry, government
departments, trade associations and the academic world to source news and feature ideas for the
magazine and website
- Plan story concepts, determine the focus of individual articles, and research and develop story ideas
for the magazine and website
- Keep abreast of current developments and trends which affect the chemical business community
- Attend conferences, press conferences, visit companies and institutions, conduct interviews
Skills and qualifications needed:
- Proven experience of writing and/or editing business news and/or features.
- Broad knowledge of topical developments in the chemical and life sciences.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision as well as being able to work as part of a team
Based in Cambridge, UK. Salary £37,161 - £41,290. 12 month fixed term contract. Closing date 17 April 2013. Vacancy reference no. 13-67