This job is no longer available
Who we are
At Roche, 80,000 people across 150 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity, and on seeing each other’s differences as an advantage. To innovate healthcare, Roche has ambitious plans to keep learning and growing – and is seeking people who have the same goals for themselves. The headquarters in Basel is one of Roche’s largest sites, over 8,000 people from approximately 80 countries work at Roche Basel. Favored by its geographic location in the heart of Europe, the Basel area is one of the most dynamic economic regions in Switzerland – a great place to live and work.
- The Discovery Chemistry group, located in Basel, is an integral component of how we innovate healthcare through the invention of differentiated medicines for treating diseases of current unmet medical need. This internship programme integrates seamlessly into European-based University degree programmes and therefore we offer the most talented chemistry students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience with us.
- You will be part of a team involved in chemistry technology, lead generation and/or lead optimization projects synthesizing novel molecules for innovative biological targets.
- You will be led by a chemistry laboratory head who will also be your mentor and supervisor.
- You will conduct laboratory research and work in a small team composed of 1-3 technicians.
- You will become experienced in the use of traditional and modern organic chemistry synthetic methods and purification technologies.
- You will develop structure activity and structure property relationships via multi-dimensional optimization.
- You will use electronic laboratory notebooks to accurately document your research results.
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
- You’re a chemistry student in a European University who is in the penultimate or last year of study.
- You have the ambition to join a multi-cultural team who strives to bring medicines to patients.
- You are goal-oriented and relish working in a dynamic multi-disciplinary environment with a core ability to work in teams.
- You have demonstrated a strong determination to succeed and have a dedication to creating novel solutions for challenging problems.
- You are passionate and pro-active about your further education in the area of chemistry and may be planning to start a PhD after your degree.
- You have excellent organizational skills, are a pro-active knowledge sharer and are fluent in English.
To Join Our Team:
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who has a strong enthusiasm for organic chemistry and is also interested in performing state of the art research in the pharmaceutical industry. The internships can last for 3-6 months with starting dates in February/March 2012 and August/September 2012. Applications need to include a cv, motivational letter and 2 reference letters. Applicants will get responses in December 2011 for placements starting in Spring 2012 and in June 2012 for placements starting in Autumn 2012.
Roche is an Equal Opportunity Employer